All parents hope that their baby will be born healthy and without complications, and that their child will never have an emergency when the pediatrician is unavailable. But when these problems do arise, that’s where Newborn Intensive Care Specialist (NICS) comes in.
NICS is a group of physicians specializing in newborns (neonatologists) and children up to 18 years old (pediatricians), as well as nurse practitioners, that partners with hospitals to provide 24/7 specialized inpatient care that the hospital wouldn’t ordinarily offer – backed by the latest medical equipment and modern communication systems. And while NICS will always strive to keep your child at your local hospital, near family and home, we will coordinate care should your child need to be transferred to another hospital.
Ensuring the best care for your child is our shared goal. NICS is where small miracles create big results.
BIG BENEFITS FOR PARENTS
- Pre-birth consultations for high-risk pregnancies with neonatologists
- Neonatologist attendance at high-risk deliveries
- 24/7 specialized neonatal and pediatric inpatient care
- Ongoing care for infants up to two months old in the NICU
- Newborn hearing screenings
- Well baby exams
- Pediatric hospitalists are always available for consultation in the ER
- Pediatric hospitalists will coordinate and communicate with primary pediatricians, other specialists and nursing staff
- Reduced likelihood that your child could be transferred to another hospital outside your community, away from home and family (when appropriate)
- No waiting for a specialist (neonatologist or pediatrician) to arrive at the hospital when needed – medical care with NICS is immediate and 24/7